Calculator Guidelines for ACT Compass® Testing
At the discretion of the institution where ACT Compass is being administered, a calculator may be used on the Numerical Skills/Prealgebra, Algebra, College Algebra, Geometry, and Trigonometry tests. A student may use any four-function, scientific, or graphing calculator provided the calculator meets the requirements listed below. In addition, when the institution allows calculators, a four-function calculator is available on-screen during the Numerical Skills/Prealgebra test and both scientific and four-function calculators are available on screen during the Algebra, College Algebra, Geometry, and Trigonometry tests. The on-screen calculators are very similar to the ones included with Microsoft Windows®.
The following types of calculators are prohibited:
- Calculators with built-in or downloaded computer algebra system functionality
Prohibited calculators in this category include:
- Texas Instruments:
- All model numbers that begin with TI-89 or TI-92
- TI-Nspire CAS—Note: The TI-Nspire (non-CAS) is permitted.
- HP Prime
- HP 48GII
- All model numbers that begin with HP 40G, HP 49G, or HP 50G
- fx-CP400 (ClassPad 400)
- ClassPad 300
- ClassPad 330
- Algebra fx 2.0
- All model numbers that begin with CFX-9970G
- Texas Instruments:
- Handheld, tablet, or laptop computers, including PDAs
- Electronic writing pads or pen-input devices—Note: The Sharp EL 9600 is permitted.
- Calculators built into cell phones or any other electronic communication devices
- Calculators with a typewriter keypad (letter keys in QWERTY format)—Note: Letter keys not in QWERTY format are permitted.
The following types of calculators are permitted, but only after they are modified as noted:
- Calculators that can hold programs or documents—remove all documents and remove all programs that have computer algebra system functionality.
- Calculators with paper tape—Remove the tape.
- Calculators that make noise—Turn off the sound.
- Calculators with an infrared data port—Completely cover the infrared data port with heavy opaque material such as duct tape or electrician's tape (includes Hewlett-Packard HP 38G series, HP 39G series, and HP 48G).
- Calculators that have power cords—Remove all power cords.
Note: Sharing calculators during the test is not permitted, and the test proctor will not provide a calculator. Students are responsible for ensuring that their calculator works properly. Students may bring a spare calculator and extra batteries.