ACT Compass® Writing Essay Test (e-Write)
You can obtain a direct measure of students' writing ability with the ACT Compass Writing Essay Test, e-Write, which can be used alone or in conjunction with the Writing Skills Test to place students in appropriate English courses.
The ACT Compass e-Write test consists of one writing prompt that defines an issue or problem and describes two points of view on that issue. Students are asked to respond to a question about their position on the issue described in the prompt.
A powerful scoring engine via the Internet allows e-Write to provide an instantaneous evaluation of a student's writing skills using either a 28 or 212 score scale.
In addition to a holistic score, e-Write provides subscores in the areas of
- Focusconsistency and clarity in identifying and maintaining the main idea or point of view
- Contentextent to which the topic is addressed by the development of ideas and the specificity of details and examples
- Organizationunity and coherence achieved through logical sequence of ideas
- Stylehow effectively the chosen language enhances the writer's purpose
- Conventionscontrol of mechanics in grammar, usage, spelling, and punctuation.
- Answers to Frequently Asked Questions about COMPASS e-Write & ESL e-Write (PDF; 37 pages, 250KB)