- November 17 2011ACT, Inc. has promoted Jon Erickson to president of its Education Division. The promotion took effect on Oct. 17, 2011. Erickson was serving previously as interim president of the division.
- November 7 2011ACT today announced an agreement with Navitas Workforce, a division of Navitas Ltd, to offer ACT WorkKeys® skills assessments and the International Career Readiness Certificate (ICRC) in five major cities across Australia beginning this month.
- November 2 2011Addition of Soft Skills Information Adds New Dimension for Job Seekers and Employees
- October 27 2011Aim is to create a nationally replicable fast-track solution to deliver skilled talent to America’s employers
- September 26 2011ACT today announced a new addition to its suite of workplace skills assessments. WorkKeys® Listening for Understanding is a computer-based assessment that relies on the latest methods for measuring listening skills and the ability to understand and follow directions in the workplace.
- September 21 2011ACT, Inc. has filled numerous leadership roles as part of its restructuring effort, including four vice president positions. Among them are Melissa Murer Corrigan, Edward W Walters III, Bernard Dutchik, and Mukesh Agarwal. In addition, David Chadima and Janice Murray have been promoted to assistant vice president positions at ACT. John Corrigan has also been hired for the same title in a different department.
- August 29 2011ACT, Inc. has hired Jennifer Yi as chief talent officer and vice president of workplace excellence. Yi will focus on learning and leadership development, talent acquisition and retention, performance management, and rewards, recognition and compensation systems.
- August 25 2011ACT today released a research report designed to assist economic and workforce developers as they contend with the increasing mismatch, or skills gaps, between labor market supply and demand in America.
- August 17 2011College and career readiness among 2011 Hispanic U.S. high school graduates who took the ACT test shows slow but steady improvement, particularly in the key areas of math and science, according to ACT’s yearly report, The Condition of College and Career Readiness 2011, released today. This has occurred as the number of Hispanic test-takers continues to dramatically increase.
- August 17 2011College and career readiness continues to increase among ACT-tested U.S. high school graduates, according to ACT’s yearly report, The Condition of College & Career Readiness 2011, released today. The findings also suggest, however, that much improvement is still needed to ensure that all students are ready for success when they graduate from high school.
- July 6 2011IOWA CITY, Iowa—ACT, Inc. recently hired David Cumberbatch as chief strategy and marketing officer. The not-for-profit education organization also promoted Paul Weeks to vice president of educational services and Tim Kuhns as vice president of project management.
- July 6 2011ACT CEO Jon Whitmore announced that Miguel Encarnação has joined the organization as ACT’s first Chief Innovation Officer (CIO).
- June 28 2011IOWA CITY, Iowa—The ACT Scholars Program, co-directed by ACT and the University of Iowa Graduate College, has selected Ikenna Obiora Anyanetu and Samantha Sanchez as scholarship winners for the 2011-12 academic year.
- June 21 2011IOWA CITY, Iowa—ACT, Inc., and the Association of Latino Administrators and Superintendents (ALAS) recently partnered to help prepare Latino school system leaders.
President Obama Announces Support of Skills Initiative Powered by ACT’s National Career Readiness CertificateJune 8 2011President Barack Obama announced support for the goal to credential a half million community college students over the next five years with skills certifications designed to help build the educated and skilled workforce U.S. manufacturers need to successfully compete in the 21st century economy. He cited The Manufacturing Institute’s NAM-endorsed Skills Certification System as a national solution. At the foundation of this System is ACT’s National Career Readiness Certificate, a gateway credential to the overall Skills Certification System.
Meeting College and Career Readiness Standards Can Help U.S. Students Catch Up with Peers in Other CountriesMay 19 2011In the report, “Affirming the Goal: Is College and Career Readiness an Internationally Competitive Standard?,” ACT examines how performance standards in reading and math on PLAN®, its college and career readiness assessment for 10th graders, compare to performance on the Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA), a worldwide assessment of 15-year-old students’ academic achievement.
- May 10 2011How do students change after four years of college? Do they become more academically motivated, thirstier for knowledge or better critical thinkers? That is precisely what a study by Wabash College in Indiana has been looking at for the past five years.
- April 25 2011ACT CEO, Jon Whitmore, has selected Mehran Rahbar to become the organization’s chief operating officer. Rahbar comes to ACT from Continental Automotive in Auburn Hills, Michigan where he served as senior vice president of engine systems global operations. He will now lead and integrate ACT’s Operations and Information Technology areas and oversee project management.
- April 20 2011Tech-savvy teens have a new way to prepare for the ACT. The information they need is now right at their fingertips—and it’s free.
- March 23 2011
IOWA CITY, Iowa—National workforce leaders will give keynote addresses at the Workforce 2011: ACT’s National Workforce Development Conference, April 18-21 at the Westin Michigan Avenue in Chicago.
- February 15 2011
IOWA CITY, Iowa — ACT, Inc., an educational leader in innovative solutions, has released a new application for iPhone® and iPod touch® users.
- January 31 2011ACT, Inc. today released a report presenting the case that we need to intensify national efforts to improve and validate the skills of our current and prospective workforce in order to correct the mismatch between skill demand and supply. The report sets forth the reasons why America needs a national workforce skills credentialing system.
- January 20 2011
IOWA CITY, Iowa—The first-to-second-year retention rate at U.S. two-year public colleges has risen to its highest level in 27 years of research, while the retention rate at four-year private colleges has dropped to its lowest level in that time
Graduate Management Admission Council, Pearson VUE, and ACT announce 12-year extension of GMAT relationshipJanuary 11 2011The Graduate Management Admission Council, Pearson VUE and ACT, today announced an extension of their partnership to develop and administer the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT), which is accepted at nearly 5000 graduate management programs and is the leading test for admissions to business schools and management programs worldwide.
- December 15 2010IOWA CITY, Iowa—ACT, Inc. announced today the enhancement of the ACT Work Readiness System to include new training and curriculum offerings from KeyTrain.
- December 15 2010
- December 6 2010
IOWA CITY, Iowa—ACT, Inc. today released a new report aimed at assisting states as they begin implementing the Common Core State Standards.
ACT and the Center for Energy Workforce Development Partner to Build the Energy Industry Workforce of TomorrowNovember 15 2010
IOWA CITY, Iowa—ACT, Inc., and the Center for Energy Workforce Development (CEWD) have announced a partnership designed to provide a common entry point for individuals interested in pursuing energy industry careers.
ACT Reports That Significant Gaps Persist Between Career Interests of 2010 High School Graduates and Job ProjectionsOctober 8 2010
IOWA CITY, Iowa—ACT has released national and state-specific data for all 50 states that helps answer the question: Are students prepared for college and career?
New Study: Rigorous High School Core Curriculum Can Help Close Racial & Income Gaps in College SuccessSeptember 20 2010
IOWA CITY, Iowa—Racial and income gaps in college success rates can be narrowed by ensuring that all students take a rigorous core curriculum in high school
- August 18 2010ACT-tested U.S. high school graduates appear to be making slow but steady progress at becoming ready for college and career, according to ACT’s annual Condition of College and Career Readiness report for 2010, released today. The 2010 ACT® test results show a growing percentage of students meeting all four of the ACT College Readiness Benchmarks, an increase of 1 percentage point over last year and 3 percentage points over five years ago. This has occurred as the population of ACT-tested graduates has grown to new levels—up by 30 percent since 2006—and become more diverse.
- August 18 2010Growing numbers of Hispanic U.S. high school graduates have taken the ACT college admission and placement exam, and they are making progress in becoming college and career ready, according to the ACT College and Career Readiness report released today. At the same time, the findings point to considerable room for improvement in college and career readiness among Hispanic students.
- July 15 2010
IOWA CITY, Iowa—On August 31, 2010, ACT CEO and Board Chairman Dick Ferguson will retire from ACT after 38 years with the organization and 22 years as its leader.
- February 2 2009The National Assessment Governing Board (NAGB) and ACT are looking for outstanding science educators and professionals to set Basic, Proficient, and Advanced achievement levels for grades 4, 8, and 12.
- January 22 2009The percentage of U.S. college freshmen who return to the same college for their second year of school is declining, according to the latest results of an annual survey conducted by ACT, Inc.
- December 10 2008Students who aren't on track for college and career readiness by eighth grade are unlikely to attain that level of readiness by high school graduation, according to "The Forgotten Middle," a new research report by ACT, Inc.
- September 2 2008ACT has made available on its website for the first time, a profile of the future workforce in each of 31 states. This data was gathered using 2008 ACT results for high school graduates in each state, compared to long-term occupational projections provided by the state. Data is also presented to indicate the performance of graduating high school students from each state on ACT’s College Readiness Benchmarks in English, Reading, Math and Science for each state’s five highest growth career fields.
- August 13 2008A record number of 2008 Hispanic high school graduates in the U.S. took the ACT college admission and placement exam, while college readiness levels remained unchanged, according to results found in this year’s ACT score report.
- August 13 2008College readiness levels remained largely steady among U.S. high school graduates in 2008 even as a rapidly expanding base of students took the ACT® college admission and placement exam.
- July 29 2008ACT announced today that it has completed more than 15,000 detailed job profiles as part of its Workforce Development initiative, representing one of the largest specific skill databases in existence today.
- July 21 2008Two educational leaders are joining together to improve educational opportunities for high school students by providing schools with the only instructional improvement program that offers professional development and course curriculum targeted towards college readiness standards. ACT and America’s Choice made the announcement in conjunction with their 2-day symposium entitled, “A Closer Look at Instruction” held in southern California.
- July 21 2008Charles E. Smith has been named vice president and head of ACT's Washington, D.C. office, effective August 4. The office facilitates relationships with Washington, D.C. based professional associations and government agencies, and provides information to policymakers available through ACT's extensive array of education and workforce assessment programs.
- June 23 2008Ranjit Sidhu joins ACT as senior vice president of strategic initiatives in the Education Division. He will be responsible for overseeing and managing initiatives related to new programs and services in education and enhancements of existing educational programs.
- June 18 2008During the last 35 years, researchers have examined a wide array of college influences on a broad range of student outcomes. But what does it all mean? Terenzini will present an emerging conceptual framework that seeks to answer that question.
- May 27 2008
IOWA CITY, Iowa—James S. "Jimmy" Clarke has been named executive director of ACT's Center for College and Career Success.
San Francisco Giants, O’Connell Recognize Six Northern California Students for Top Scores on ACT TestMay 14 2008
SACRAMENTO, Calif.—Six Northern California high school students were recognized by the San Francisco Giants and Jack O'Connell, state superintendent for public instruction, for earning top scores of 36 on their ACT test during the 2007–08 school year.