How to Find the Right College
By junior year of high school, students should develop a list of schools they might want to attend.
How do they do that? How do you help? The choices can be overwhelming! Focus on finding the best fit, a place where your child will feel comfortable and supported. If possible, visit campuses as you help your child decide.
Students should ask themselves:
- Urban area or rural?
- Large school or small?
- Two-year or four-year program?
Students should ask colleges:
- What majors and activities are available?
- Do most of the graduates get good jobs?
- What is the faculty-to-student ratio and what is the average class size?
- What academic and social support is there for first-generation students?
- What programs are available for parents?
- Do most first-generation students graduate?
- How will the costs be paid?