Information We Collect
ACT collects certain Personal Information that you provide voluntarily when using the Site. "Personal Information" includes information that can identify you as a specific individual, such as your name or address. "Personal Information" does not include anonymized, aggregate or statistical information. Under the following circumstances, ACT may collect the following Personal Information from you:
- Test registration and services. When you register for a test or to use ACT's services, we may collect your name, home address, email address, telephone number, social security number, date of birth, credit card information, and other personally identifiable information such as educational background and interests. Certain information is requested but not mandatory to provide. We will identify to you at the time of collection which information fields are required.
- Online orders or questions. When you are ordering materials or requesting information from ACT, we may collect your name, address, email address, birth date, and other personal information, such as job title or needs for our materials. If you are purchasing materials, we additionally collect credit card information.
- Suppliers. If you are supplier to ACT, we may collect your name, address, email address, telephone number, tax identification number, birth date, bank account information, and other personally identifiable information. Certain information is requested but not mandatory to provide. We will identify to you at the time of collection which information fields are required.
- Job applicants. If you are applying for a position with ACT, we collect your name, address, email address, work and educational history, as well as other personal information necessary to evaluate your application.
- Other interactive tools or functions on the Site may collect other personal information from you, but in each case the personal information being collected is clearly marked at the time of collection.
How We Use Your Personal Information
ACT uses your Personal Information to:
- Administer tests such as the ACT® test and WorkKeys® assessments, as well as communicate with you regarding the test.
- Process your requests for other products, services, or information and communicate with you regarding such requests.
- Verify your identity, process payments and collect debts you owe us.
- Personalize your experience on the Site and customize the content and/or format of the pages you visit.
- Improve the Site and our other business systems and procedures.
- Conduct research and produce aggregate statistical studies and analysis related to our products and services.
- Ask you to participate in brief surveys regarding the products and services offered by ACT.
- Provide you with information about products, services or special offers from ACT. Please see the section below entitled "Your Choices" to better understand your choices with regard to these communications from ACT.
Marketing by Third Parties
ACT honors your preferences with regard to sharing your Personal Information with third parties for their marketing purposes. Prior to our sharing your Personal Information with our affiliates or other third parties for marketing purposes, you will be given the opportunity to indicate whether you wish your information to be shared with such parties.
Disclosure of Your Personal Information
- If you are under 18 years of age, we may provide your Personal Information to your parent or guardian, who may direct us to release the information to third parties.
- We may share Personal Information within the ACT family of companies.
- We may employ third party contractors to perform functions on our behalf, which may include assisting us in processing your Personal Information. These contractors are contractually required to maintain the confidentiality of the information and are restricted from using the information for any purposes other than those authorized by ACT.
- ACT may provide your Personal Information to government agencies or others as necessary to comply with the law or in response to legal or administrative processes such as subpoenas. In addition, ACT may release your Personal Information as permitted by law in the unlikely event ACT deems release necessary to protect the health and safety of its customers or others, or to legally protect ACT, its customers or service providers.
Registration for Tests and Other ACT Services
Personal Information collected from you in connection with test registration is used and disclosed in conformity with industry standards, as well as in accordance with any confidentiality policy set forth in registration materials and applicable U.S. law. For example, your Personal Information and scores are provided to parties you designate to receive your scores and may, where applicable, be shared with the school district or other entity that has paid the fee for you to take the test or to receive a certificate of achievement or credential relating to the test, testing centers, selected scholarship programs and agencies, government agencies having authority over your school and more rarely, parties approved by ACT's executive management to engage in research to inform and improve educational practices. Such researchers must meet certain standards and are required to sign confidentiality agreements. In certain situations, ACT may also provide your Personal Information to parties providing support services to any of the organizations described in this paragraph.
ACT strives to provide you with choices with regard to our use of your Personal Information. For example, although we may occasionally use your Personal Information to contact you regarding products or services of ACT we think might interest you, you will be given instructions on how to opt out of receiving further communications of this nature by email. Note, however, that in such a case, you would still receive program-related messages and similar transactional communications by email. In addition, as noted above, you will have the opportunity to choose not to receive marketing materials from our affiliates or third parties.
Log Files, Cookies, and Web Beacons
In addition, when you access the Site, certain non-personal information is automatically logged about your visit. This information may include your operating system, screen settings, Web browser software, and referring website, if any. It is used for system improvement and administration, security, statistical analysis purposes, and other internal business purposes.
This Site may use third party services for analytics purposes. These third party services collect information anonymously and reports website trends without identifying individual visitors. These third party services use their own cookies to track visitor interactions. Website owners can view a variety of reports containing aggregate information about how visitors interact with their website so they can improve their website and how people find it. We do not control these third party cookies and their use may be governed by the privacy policies of the third party services employing these cookies.
Links to Other Sites
The Site is generally intended for use by those in the fields of education and business and other adults, as well as high school students engaged in college and career planning and their parents. The portions of the Site that collect Personal Information (e.g., www.actstudent.org) are intended for high school students above the age of 13 only. We ask that children under the age of 13 do not submit any Personal Information to us.