Since 1983, the ACT Compass program has been instrumental in helping educators to place students in college-level courses. During this time, course placement needs among students and the institutions who serve them have shifted significantly. A thorough analysis of customer feedback, empirical evidence and postsecondary trends led us to conclude that ACT Compass is not contributing as effectively to student placement and success as it had in the past. Based on this analysis, as part of ACT’s commitment to continuous improvement, we have made the difficult decision to phase out the all ACT Compass products (ACT Asset, Windows Compass, eCompass and Compass 5.0) by December 31, 2016.
ACT Compass 5.0:
- ACT Compass 5.0 will be available for testing through January 15, 2016. Data will be available via ACT Compass 5.0 through January 31, 2016.
- Additional feature enhancements to ACT Compass 5.0 will not be implemented.
- ACT eCompass will be available for testing through November 30, 2016. Data will be available via ACT eCompass through December 31, 2016.
ACT Asset, ACT Windows Compass:
- ACT Asset and Windows Compass versions will be available for testing through November 30, 2016.
- ACT Asset materials will be available for ordering until November 1, 2016.
- All unit pricing will remain at the FY15 rates through November 30, 2016 at $1.55 per unit (volume discounts available).
The ACT Compass Team will share more information with you as it becomes available. For additional assistance regarding ACT Compass at your institution, please contact ACT Compass Customer Service at 800.645.1992 or via email@example.com. We will do our very best to assist you through this transition.
Contact Customer Service
ACT Compass offers:
- Fast and accurate assessments to guide optimal course placement decisions.
- Customization of test packages, cutoff scores, and placement messages to ensure results that meet the specific needs of your institution.
- Comprehensive reporting at the student and program level allows for optimal student advising and program evaluation decisions based on empirical data.
- High school outreach for early intervention and dual-enrollment programs in feeder high schools.
- Remote testing to meet the assessment needs of your students anywhere in the country.
ACT Compass is an untimed, computerized test that helps your college evaluate your skills and place you into appropriate courses. Compass offers tests in reading, writing, math, writing essay, and English as a Second Language (ESL). You will receive your Compass test results immediately upon completion of testing, and your score report will include placement messages informing you what courses you should take and how to register.
How Can I Take the Compass Tests?
Most institutions give Compass during orientation to incoming freshmen who have already applied and been admitted to the school. Some institutions may require you to take one or more of the Compass tests before enrolling in a particular program or course. Talk to your advisor, counselor, or Office of Student Services to determine the requirements and recommendations of your institution.
System-wide maintenance periods are now scheduled as shown below. These maintenance windows are applicable to both eCompass and Compass 5.0. No Saturday night/Sunday testing or reporting with ACT Compass will be possible during the following Saturday night/Sunday periods:
- March 28–29, 2015; Saturday, 5 p.m. CT through Sunday, 5 p.m. CT
- April 25–26, 2015; Saturday, 5 p.m. CT through Sunday, 5 p.m. CT
- May 30–31, 2015; Saturday, 5 p.m. CT through Sunday, 5 p.m. CT
- June 27–28, 2015; Saturday, 5 p.m. CT through Sunday, 5 p.m. CT
- July 18–19, 2015; Saturday, 5 p.m. CT through Sunday, 5 p.m. CT
- August 29–30, 2015; Saturday, 5 p.m. CT through Sunday, 5 p.m. CT
- September 26–27, 2015; Saturday, 5 p.m. CT through Sunday, 5 p.m. CT