ACT Compass is a computer-adaptive college placement test that lets educators:
- Evaluate incoming students' skill levels in Reading, Writing Skills, Writing Essay, Math, and English as a Second Language
- Place students in appropriate courses
- Connect students to the resources they need to achieve academic success
Contact Customer Service
ACT Compass offers:
- Fast and accurate assessments to guide optimal course placement decisions.
- Customization of test packages, cutoff scores, and placement messages to ensure results that meet the specific needs of your institution.
- Comprehensive reporting at the student and program level allows for optimal student advising and program evaluation decisions based on empirical data.
- High school outreach for early intervention and dual-enrollment programs in feeder high schools.
- Remote testing to meet the assessment needs of your students anywhere in the country.
ACT Compass is an untimed, computerized test that helps your college evaluate your skills and place you into appropriate courses. Compass offers tests in reading, writing, math, writing essay, and English as a Second Language (ESL). You will receive your Compass test results immediately upon completion of testing, and your score report will include placement messages informing you what courses you should take and how to register.
How Can I Take the Compass Tests?
Most institutions give Compass during orientation to incoming freshmen who have already applied and been admitted to the school. Some institutions may require you to take one or more of the Compass tests before enrolling in a particular program or course. Talk to your advisor, counselor, or Office of Student Services to determine the requirements and recommendations of your institution.
System-wide maintenance periods are now scheduled as shown below. These maintenance windows are applicable to both eCompass and Compass 5.0. No Saturday night/Sunday testing or reporting with ACT Compass will be possible during the following Saturday night/Sunday periods:
- March 28–29, 2015; Saturday, 5 p.m. CT through Sunday, 5 p.m. CT
- April 25–26, 2015; Saturday, 5 p.m. CT through Sunday, 5 p.m. CT
- May 30–31, 2015; Saturday, 5 p.m. CT through Sunday, 5 p.m. CT
- June 27–28, 2015; Saturday, 5 p.m. CT through Sunday, 5 p.m. CT
- July 18–19, 2015; Saturday, 5 p.m. CT through Sunday, 5 p.m. CT
- August 29–30, 2015; Saturday, 5 p.m. CT through Sunday, 5 p.m. CT
- September 26–27, 2015; Saturday, 5 p.m. CT through Sunday, 5 p.m. CT