Technical Manuals and Fairness Reports
Technical manuals provide detailed information about test development, scaling, scoring, norming, equating, and validity evidence for the ACT, the ACT Writing Test, PreACT, ACT Explore, ACT Plan, ACT QualityCore, ACT Compass, and the ACT Interest Inventory.
All manuals are in PDF.
- The ACT Technical Manual (156 pages)
- The ACT Technical Manual Supplement (46 pages)
- ACT Writing Test Technical Report (25 pages)
- PreACT Technical Bulletin (66 pages)
- ACT Explore Technical Manual (69 pages)
- ACT Plan Technical Manual (78 pages)
- ACT QualityCore Technical Manual (73 pages)
- ACT Compass Reference Manual (241 pages) See Part 3: COMPASS Technical Information.
- The ACT Interest Inventory Technical Manual (68 pages)
These reports describe the extensive fairness reviews the EXPLORE, PLAN, and ACT tests undergo before they are administered. The reports also describe the statistical analyses for bias (DIF) the test results undergo and present the results of those analyses for the test year reported on. The DIF analyses show, without exception, that the number of items showing DIF is lower than would be expected by chance alone. The reviews and analyses documented in the reports strongly support the position that the tests are fair.
All reports are in PDF.