Equity by Design
Equitable design acknowledges that equity doesn’t happen by chance, but with meaning and focus. At ACT, our focus on equity requires the deliberate, consistent, and transparent integration of information, perspectives, and resources from, for, and about diverse communities to achieve positive outcomes for those served – this is Equity by Design.
By embracing a comprehensive focus on Equity by Design, ACT is redoubling our efforts to be consistent, deliberate, and transparent in our commitment to serving all students well and making significant progress toward advancing opportunity and outcomes for all.
At ACT, we believe that every learner – whether they are a middle school student, graduating senior, working learner, or lifelong learner – is on a journey striving for success in college, career, and life. With that in mind, ACT is:
- Working alongside learners, and those who serve them, to help everyone discover and fulfill their potential.
- Making connections that will help students navigate through the college-going process, into the workforce, and beyond.
- Creating a set of solutions and services that offer the best resources and tools available with the support and guidance students need.
Equity by Design is critical as we work to address the systemic barriers that impede success for so many. This intentional focus:
- Places the learner at the center of the policies and practices that contribute to disparities in education achievement and abstains from blaming students and educators for those accumulated disparities.
- Honors input from diverse stakeholders, meets the needs of all learners, and is achieved through collaboration where influence is distributed and shared.
- Purposefully involves those being served as key players throughout a design process ensuring that diverse voices directly affect how the solution will address inequities and achieve the prescribed goal.
Through our focus on Equity by Design, ACT will strengthen and accelerate our ability to build inclusive tools and solutions that support all learners along their academic and career readiness journeys.
Equity by Design in Practice
ACT's mission is to help all people achieve education and workplace success. With our mission in mind we designed an initiative to ensure that ACT reading assessment materials are supportive and reflective of the many communities of learners we serve. A report Affirming and Equitable Representations in ACT Reading: A Roundtable Discussion Series is available for download.