About ACT Certified Educator
ACT Certified Educator classes have moved to online for the 2020-21 school year.
Registration and Security Check
First, participants register for the courses that interest them the most. ACT's Security Department then conducts a simple
background check on each participant.
Course and Exam Completion
Upon security approval, candidates participate in the courses they had registered for. Participants must successfully complete the course and meet the scoring benchmarks for the corresponding exams.
Pass/Fail results are communicated to participants. Participants who pass all required exams earn their credentials (electronic badges), when applicable*. Participants with a Fail result are given the opportunity to retest in an effort to earn a Passing result.
*Successful completion of ACT Certified Educator Basics course and exam is a prerequisite for any subject-specific badges issued.
How do you earn badges?
|Basics||Successful completion of Basics Certification exam only earns Basics badge.|
|English||Successful completion of BOTH Reading Qualification and Reading Certification exams, in conjunction with successful completion of Basics Certification exam, earns Reading badge.|
||Successful completion of BOTH Reading Qualification and Reading Certification exams, in conjunction with successful completion of Basics Certification exam, earns Reading badge.
||Successful completion of Writing Certification exam, in conjunction with successful completion of Basics Certification exam, earns Writing badge.
|Math||Successful completion of BOTH Math Qualification and Math Certification exams, in conjunction with successful completion of Basics Certification exam, earns Math badge.|
|Science||Successful completion of BOTH Science Qualification and Certification exams, in conjunction with successful completion of Basics Certification exam, earns Science badge.|
Without the Basics Certification, no other credentialing is possible. See Retest Policy and Schedule.
The ACT Basics course provides the foundational information, resources, and strategies educators need to ensure their students are adequately prepared to take the ACT test. The professional learning course will provide opportunities to acquire a deep understanding of ACT test preparation and to develop the skills necessary to achieve certification in ACE subject-specific training courses. Attendees will also learn how to use the many tools provided by ACT, including ACT score reports, the ACT website, ACT College and Career Readiness Standards, and The Official ACT Prep Guide.
- Purposes and Benefits of the ACT Test
- National curriculum survey
- The ACT application process
- Fee Waivers
- Test-taking strategies
Why Take It?
- Enhance the ability to offer students sound, well-informed advice
- Discover evidence-based instructional techniques for test preparation
- Learn what you need to know to plan ACT prep courses
- Required to receive certification in other subject areas
- Foundational materials for subject-specific courses
The ACT Certified Educator Reading course provides candidates with the information necessary to provide effecting Reading test preparation instruction, identify and recommend Reading test strategies, and understand Reading test structure and content. This course is highly interactive and experiential. Discover and explore the different strategies applicable to students of different abilities and reading speeds. Exercises completed in this course allow candidates to know what it feels like to be a pressed-for-time student who needs to get a good score.
- Helping readers learn smart strategies to get more questions right more quickly and manage limited time effectively
- Discovering which approaches work best for which types of student
- Understanding Reading test Reporting Categories
- Analyzing Reading test items to determine what is being measured
- Practical, logical, and easy-to-understand approaches to each type of question
- Examining ways to embed Reading test prep into high school curriculum
Why Take It?
- Acquire practical skills to pass on to your students
- Gain insights into the skills the test assesses and how you can help your students develop those skills
- Become more effective in improving key skills required for
The ACT Certified Educator Writing course provides participants with a set of techniques, exercises, and resources to strengthen ACT Writing test preparation, identify and recommend strategies, and understand test structure and content. This course offers a systematic and supportive process for helping students improve their writing skills and boost performance on the ACT Writing section.
- Understanding What the ACT Writing Test Requires of Students
- Thorough Analysis and Application of the ACT Writing Rubric
- Exploration of Many Strategies for Thesis Writing, Outlining, Evidence-generating, and Multiple Perspective engagement
- Guidance on Writing Time Management and Revision Strategy
Why Take It?
- Gain the skills to give your students a wide array of tactics and strategies for in a highly pressurized aspect of the ACT
- Learn a well-defined, logical, systematic method for teaching students how to go from prompt to completion with as little stress as possible
The ACT Certified Educator English course provides candidates with the information necessary to facilitate effective preparation for the ACT English test, identify and recommend test-preparation and test-taking strategies, and understand test structure and content.
- English content from Career and College Readiness Standards (CCRS).
- Item Analysis: What skills does each item measure?
- Coaching skills and remediation for improving
- English performance
Why Take It?
- Know what ACT English is really looking for
- What is typically tested
- What is typically not tested
- Learn how to thoroughly analyze student practice tests
- Learn how to replace fear of the unknown with practical question-by-question techniques
The content of the ACT Certified Educator Math course provides candidates with the information necessary to provide effective ACT Math test preparation, identify and recommend test-taking strategies, and understand test structure and content. This course is highly focused on using a variety of techniques—applicable to different types and levels of student— to solve ACT math problems.
- Structure of the Math ACT Test
- Initial Student Assessment
- Skills, vocab, symbols, formulas, and real-life settings on the Math ACT
- Using a Calculator
- Practicing with Authentic Math ACT Tests
- Tips and Memorizations
Why Take It?
- Comprehensive review of math coaching techniques
- Tools for teaching students of all levels
- Understand how each aspect of ACT math can be integrated into the general math curriculum
- Analyze Math test items and discern student misconceptions
The ACT Certified Educator Science course provides candidates with the information necessary to facilitate effective ACT Science test preparation, identify and recommend test-taking strategies, and understand test structure and content. This course is highly interactive and practical and provides an opportunity to share ideas and teaching techniques with colleagues.
- Teaching students how to:
- Solve Problems
- Interpretation of Data
- Scientific Investigation
- Evaluation of Models (Inferences and Experimental Results)
Why Take It?
- Learn how to tackle the hardest aspects for students:
- Reading speed
- Time limits
- Help students learn key skills:
- Draw a conclusion based on data or identify data that support a conclusion
- Compare competing interpretations of a data set and determine which is best supported by evidence and reason
- Perform interpolations and extrapolations using data from a table or graph
- Identify whether or not a cause-and-effect relationship exists between two variables
- Interpret data presented in graphs and tables (including identifying trends, independent and dependent variables, and units and scales)
- Recognize the origin of data presented in a graph or table
- Proven strategies to maximize scoring at all levels