Step 1: Orientation - Learn about test formats and policies; select test dates and provide shipping information; select test staff and set up accounts.
Step 2: Configuration - verify enrollment for test materials.
Step 3: Accommodation - Learn about accessibility supports; request accommodations and/or supports; request qualified exceptions to the deadline.
Step 4: Preparation - Order test materials; complete non-test activities; provide examinees test prep information; prepare your facility, staff, and materials; update examinee information.
Step 5: Administration - Administer the test.
Step 6: Transportation: Return test materials..
Step 7: Interpretation - Access and understand score reports; share reporting information with examinees.
The Schedule of Events contains all dates and deadlines for North Carolina's test event. Check it frequently to stay on track for testing.
- Testing Window: October 11, 2021 - May 13, 2022
- Answer Document Return Date (ADRD): May 27, 2022
Documents will be replaced as they become available for 2021-2022 testing.
Learn about Test Formats and Policies
- NCDPI PreACT Frequently Asked Questions 2021-2022 (document)
- Testing Policies and Information (manual section – select the first result listed after applying search filters)
Select Test Dates and Provide Shipping Information
August 2 – September 10, 2021
- PearsonAccessnext User Guide (document – select the Test Date and Materials Receipt Selection section)
- Address Change Request Form (webform)
Select Test Staff and Set Up Accounts
- Staff Requirements, Roles, and Responsibilities (manual section – select the first result listed after applying search filters)
- PearsonAccessnext User Guide (document – select the Managing Contact and User Account Information section)
Tip: When the district test coordinator changes the school test coordinator in PearsonAccessnext, remember to deactivate the existing test coordinator's user account. Updates need to be completed in two places: the manage contacts screen and creating a new user account
Order Test Materials
September 20, 2021 - May 6, 2022
- PearsonAccessnext User Guide (document – select the Managing Test Materials section)
Tip: You can track test materials shipments using Orders & Shipment Tracking. See the View Status and Shipment Information section in the PearsonAccessnext User Guide.
Tip: The PreACT Test Materials Package includes the test booklets, answer documents, Administration Manuals, and other materials you will need to administer PreACT. Order one PreACT Test Material Package for every student who will be testing, including students who will test with accommodations or English learner supports. ACT will include an overage in each order.
Verify Enrollment Counts
August 2 - September 10, 2021
- PearsonAccessnext User Guide (document – select the Managing Test Materials, Accessing Reports, and Submit a Request to Enroll or Unenroll an Examinee sections)
- Enroll/Verify/Update Students in PearsonAccessnext (training tutorial)
Tip: To verify accommodations/supports counts, run an Accommodations and Supports Roster in PearsonAccessnext.
Learn about Accessibility Supports
- PreACT Accessibility Supports Guide (document)
Arrange for Accommodations and/or English Learner (EL) Supports
- Testing with Accessibility Supports (manual section – select the first result listed after applying search filters)
Tip: Administering PreACT with accommodations or English learner supports does not require prior approval from ACT. You will order alternate format test materials or materials for English learners at the same time you order your PreACT Test Material Packages in PearsonAccessnext.
Prepare Your Facility, Staff, and Test Materials
- Test Facilities (manual section – select the first listed after applying search filters)
- Test Staff (manual section – select the first listed after applying search filters)
- Test Materials (manual section – select the first listed after applying search filters)
- Test Administration (manual section – select the first listed after applying search filters)
- PreACT Test Administration Training (webinar)
- PreACT Test Administration Training slide deck (webinar slides)
Complete Non-Test Activities
Tip: When entering name and address on the answer document (blocks B and P-S), be sure examinees:
- Start with the first box and first column in block
- Fill in the appropriate oval for each letter in addition to printing them in the boxes.
- Fill in only one oval per column
Tip: Make sure examinees properly enter the form code into the Test Form block on their answer documents. This is essential to the answer documents being scored properly.
Administer the Test
Standard Time Administration Window: October 11, 2021 - May 13, 2022
Accommodations Administration Window: October 11, 2021- May 13, 2022
- NC PreACT Administration Manual (document)
- ACT-Authorized Bilingual Word-to-Word Dictionaries list (document)
- Calculator Policy (document)
Return Test Materials
Standard Time Testing Materials Receipt Deadline: May 27, 2022
- Preparing, Packing, and Returning Test Materials (manual section – select the first result listed after applying search filters)
- Secure Storage and Transport Test Materials Form (document)
- Returning Braille Materials (document)
- Returning PreACT Materials to ACT (training tutorial)
Tip: Test coordinators should verify completeness and accuracy of materials received from room supervisors before returning answer documents to ACT. Check that the test form code is properly gridded on each answer document.
Tip: Do not return unused answer documents or any unused PreACT test materials.
Tip: Return the answer documents for all testing (standard, accommodations, or make-up) in the same shipment.
Tip: The polymailer envelopes include prepaid FedEx return shipping labels already affixed. You may leave the packed polymailer envelopes in a secure FedEx pick-up area at your site or FedEx drop-off site. Do not leave your packed polymailer envelopes in an unsupervised pick or drop-off site. Two options are available for materials return:
1) Schedule a FedEx pickup for materials return.
2) You may also drop off materials at a staffed FedEx location. Please obtain a receipt for tracking purposes. Do not leave polymailers at an unsupervised drop-off location.
Access and Understand Score Reports
See your Score Report Schedule for release dates
- 10 Ways to Use PreACT Data (document)
- Interpretive Guide for Student and Aggregate Reports - NC (document)
- Using Your PreACT Results - NC (document)
- Using Your PreACT Results - Spanish - NC (document)
- PreACT Student Report - Sample (document)
- PreACT Technical Manual (document)
- PreACT Student Record Layout (document)
- PreACT Guide for Online Reporting (document)