You Got Accepted - What's Next?
Things You Should Consider Now
Congratulations on getting accepted into college!
- Wait for more options
- Do your research
- Talk it out
- Access your student portal
- Keep track of deadlines
Perseverance, Storytelling, and Luck:
Tips for Earning Scholarships
Things to Do After Receiving a College Acceptance Letter
- Wait for more options. If you applied to more than one school, wait until you hear back from the others. Weigh the pros and cons of all your options before committing to the first school that accepts you.
- Do your research… again. If you applied to a college, you’ve likely done some kind of research, and maybe even visited campus. Now that attending a particular college went from a possibility to a reality, you will likely view things a little bit differently. Before making a final decision, consider visiting (or revisiting) the campus as a first-year student. If a campus visit isn’t in the cards, use online resources to go on a virtual campus visit.
- Talk it out. Talk to your family and friends about your options. Consider the costs associated with attending each school.
- Reflect. Read your notes from your campus visit. If you haven’t already, make a college list to compare potential schools. Know what’s most important to you about each option (cost, distance from home, majors offered, student population, etc.). Sit quietly and picture your first day of college. What campus are you visualizing?
- Access your student portal. Many schools have a student portal that hosts all the pertinent information and deadlines you need to know to move forward in the admissions process. Activation details are usually found in your acceptance materials.
- Keep track of deadlines. Read through your acceptance letter completely and take note of important dates. Dates to keep in mind may include:
- Deadline to take placement tests
- Deadline to sign up for orientation
- Deadline to apply for housing
- Deadline to submit final high school transcript
- Deadline to file your financial aid documents
- Deadline to accept admission (and pay the acceptance fee, if applicable)