Applying for Financial Aid
Five Important Steps to Follow
Don't let expense stand in the way of a college education.
Follow these five important steps:
- Develop a financial aid calendar
- Apply for financial aid when applying for admission
- Submit required financial aid forms
- Apply for scholarships and grants
- Keep track of progress
Learn about applying for financial aid and so much more with the FREE Financial Aid eBook.
Get the FREE eBook!
Follow these 5 important steps:
- Develop a financial aid calendar—Deadlines vary, so if you put together a calendar of when applications are due and stick to it, you’ll be in a good position to apply for financial help.
- Apply for financial aid when applying for admission—Many colleges require both an application for admission and for financial aid before your financial aid eligibility can be determined.
- Submit required financial aid forms—File all forms for the colleges you’re considering, including the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). Go to www.fafsa.ed.gov to fill out the form or request a paper version.
- Apply for scholarships and grants—Ask your counselor about state scholarships, grants, and loan programs. Also look for institutional, community, foundation, and corporation program funds.
- Keep track of progress—Monitor the information you receive from colleges regarding fees and payment schedules, and include this information in your college planning.