ACT Math Test Tips
Get the ACT Practice Test!
Get a taste of the ACT test with practice questions (and answers) found in this free study guide.
Here's what you'll get:
- An overview of the ACT test and what to expect on test day
- A full-length practice ACT test (including writing prompt)
- Answers and a scoring key for each test section
- A breakdown of the content covered in each test section
- General test-taking strategies
- Ways to approach each section of the ACT
The ACT Math test covers skills students have typically acquired in courses taken up to the beginning of 12th grade.
Scores are based on specific knowledge and skills including: number and quantity, algebra, functions, geometry, statistics and probability, modeling, and integrating essential skills (the ability to apply your understandings and skills to solve more complex problems).
Math Test-Taking Tips:
- If you use a calculator, use it wisely. All of the problems can be solved without a calculator. It’s important to use good judgement as to when to use a calculator in order to make the best use of your time.
- Use scratch paper. Once you’ve solved the problem, look for your answer among the choices. If your answer isn’t included, reread the problem and try again.
- Make sure you answer the question. Many questions on the test involve several steps. Make sure your answer accounts for all the necessary steps. Many times, there is an option to select an answer that is part of the process, but not the final result.
- Make sure your answer is reasonable. Sometimes an error in computation will result in an answer that is not practical for the situation described.
- Check your answers. If there is time remaining before the end of the math test, it is important that you reread the questions and check your answers.
Instructor Takeover: Preparing for the ACT
My Journey On-Demand Session
This session focuses on tips before and during the exam to help with studying and preparing for the exam, as well as how to combat anxiety that comes with standardized testing and tips to calm nerves.