The First Step Toward Preparing Students for the ACT Test
PreACT 8/9® is for schools and districts who want to support their 8th and 9th graders with an early practice experience for the ACT test. It also provides an early indicator of college and career readiness that helps educators, students, and parents identify areas of academic strength and opportunity.
Following the interruption of schooling due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, schools may not have been able to offer a spring 2020 administration. Going into the 2020-2021 academic year, standard-based measures of student achievement are needed more than ever. Because learning gains (or losses) during the shutdown period are expected to vary considerably student-to-student, measures of student achievement are particularly important heading into 2020-2021. Fall test scores reflect the net impact of learning that occurred through 2019-2020, summer learning loss and additional loss caused by the school shutdowns, and any positive effects of shutdown mitigation efforts (such as online learning or starting school early in the fall).
PreACT 8/9 Benefits for Schools and Districts
- Predicts Performance on the ACT. Provides predicted score ranges for both the PreACT and the ACT subject and composite scores.
- Aligned to ACT Readiness Benchmarks. Based on validated ACT Readiness Standards and Benchmarks
- Aligned to the ACT Score Scale
- Robust Reporting Package. View multiple reports including Item Response Summary Report by Grade, Student Report, Educator Reports, and more. Additionally PreACT 8/9, PreACT and the ACT each provide a STEM score.
- Career and Navigation. Provides an Indicator of progress toward the National Career Readiness Certificate that estimates students’ progress toward the ACT® National Career Readiness Certificate® (NCRC®)1. Also provides career suggestions based on student goals and interests based on answers to the Interest Inventory.
- Flexible Administration. Schools and districts choose when to test—not a contract or calendar—within the October–June testing window.
- Quick Implementation. Materials are received quickly to enable an expedited administration.
Set students up for success by placing them in the correct level during critical transition points from junior high to high school.
Create a College Going Culture
Start counseling students earlier on their college and career options by utilizing the Student Profile and Interest Inventory.
Consider establishing a College and Career Readiness Day—a specific day dedicated to the readiness of your students. Your school can shut down the bells and deliver all assessments on the same day.
GEAR UP provides six- and seven-year grants to states and partnerships to provide services at high-poverty middle and high schools. Write PreACT 8/9 into your grant application and leverage this available funding.
Ready to Take The First Step Toward Preparing for the ACT Test?
Explore More ACT Resources
1The NCRC is a credential that certifies foundational skills important for job success across a broad range of industries and occupations.