Step 1: Orientation - Learn about test policies; select test dates and provide shipping information; select test staff and set up accounts.
Step 2: Configuration - Manage student information; complete site readiness for online testing.
Step 3: Accommodation - Identify student needs for accommodations and/or supports. Assign Accommodations in PearsonAccessnext
Step 4: Preparation - Order test materials; provide examinees test prep information; prepare your facility, staff, and materials; update examinee information; create online test sessions.
Step 5: Administration - Administer the test.
Step 6: Transportation: Return test materials..
Step 7: Interpretation - Access and understand score reports; share reporting information with examinees.
Your Schedule of Events contains all dates and deadlines for your test event. Check it frequently to ensure you're on track for a successful administration.
Spring 2024 Administration
March 18 - April 26, 2024 (weekday testing only)
Spring 2024 schedules and updated documentation will be posted in January 2024 and as they become available.
Tips for Success
- Bookmark this web page and check back frequently for updated content. Content will be added as it's available.
- Mark important dates from your Schedule of Events on your calendar and set reminders for deadlines.
- Familiarize yourself with the seven stages of the testing cycle (Orientation, Configuration, Accommodation, Preparation, Administration, Transportation, and Interpretation) by browsing using the links provided. You can see a brief description, action items, and resources associated with each stage to help you get a feel for the testing timeline. Content will be linked as it becomes available.
- Watch for emails from ACT with important reminders. Add our email address to your contacts to prevent emails from going to spam/junk folders.
Learn about Test Formats and Policies
Select Test Staff and Set Up Accounts
- Test Coordinator Information Manual (Staff Requirements, Roles, and Responsibilities section (web content)
- PearsonAccessnext User Guide, Managing Contact and User Account Information section (manual section) (web content)
Tip: When the district test coordinator changes the school test coordinator in PearsonAccessnext, remember to deactivate the existing test coordinator's user account. Updates need to be completed in two places: the manage contacts screen and creating a new user account.
Upload Student Data Records (SDU File)
Standard Testing: January 8 - April 25, 2024
- PreACT Secure Student Data Upload (SDU) File Layout & Data Requirements Table (web content)
- PreACT Secure - Adding & Updating Students (SDU) in PearsonAccessnext (web content)
- PreACT Student Data Upload - Import Error Messages Table (pdf)
- Student Data Upload Header Template (xlsx)
- How to Verify Test Day Selection and SDU (document) (coming soon)
Tip: The formatting in the SDU template includes instructions for how to create a successful file. Be sure to delete the sample row and all blank rows prior to uploading to PearsonAccessnext.
Verify Enrollment Counts
January 8 - April 22, 2024
- PearsonAccessnext User Guide, Managing Test Materials, Accessing Reports, and Submit a Request to Enroll or Unenroll an Examinee sections (manual sections) (web content)
- PearsonAccessnext Operational Reports Layout (pdf)
Complete Site Readiness for Online Testing
January 8 - April 26, 2024
- Technical Coordinator Checklist (pdf)
- Technical Requirements for the PreACT Secure Test Taken Online (web content)
- PreACT Secure Online Technical Guide (web content)
- Mock Administration Guide (web content)
- PreACT Secure Online Readiness Training (webinar) (coming soon)
- PreACT Secure Online Readiness Training (pdf) (coming soon)
PreACT Secure Online Technical Readiness Training Tutorials
Learn about Accessibility Supports
- Accessibility Supports Guide for PreACT Secure (web content)
- FAQ Sunsetting English Braille American Edition (pdf)
Set Up Accommodations and/or English Learner (EL) Supports in PearsonAccessnext
Paper Testing: January 8 - April 5, 2024
Online Testing: January 8 - April 25, 2024
Tip: Administering PreACT Secure with accommodations or English learner supports does not require prior approval from ACT. You will order alternate format test materials for English learners through PearsonAccessnext
Order Test Materials
Accomodations: February 12 - April 5, 2024
- PearsonAccessnext User Guide, Managing Test Materials section - (manual section) (web content)
- Address Change Request Form (webform)
Tip: You can track test materials shipments using Orders & Shipment Tracking. See the View Status and Shipment Information section in the PearsonAccessnext User Guide.
Provide Examinees Test Prep Information
Tip: TestNav Practice Tests can be found on the TestNav Site without logging in by clicking on the "practice Tests" link at the bottom of the sign in window.
Prepare Your Facility, Staff, and Test Materials
- PreACT Secure Test Coordinator Information Manual, Test Facilities section (web content)
- PreACT Secure Test Coordinator Information Manual, Test Staff section (web content)
- PreACT Secure Test Coordinator Information Manual, Test Materials section (web content)
- PreACT Secure Online Administration Manual, Test Administration section (web content)
- Instructions for Completing Your Answer Document (pdf)
- PreACT Secure Test Administration Training (webinar) (coming soon)
- PreACT Secure Test Administration Training slides (pdf) (coming soon)
Update Examinee Information
January 8 - April 22, 2024
Create Online Test Sessions
March 18 - April 26, 2024
Administer the Test
March 18 - April 26, 2024 (weekday testing only)
- PreACT Secure Test Administration Form - Accommodations Paper (pdf)
- PreACT Secure Test Administration Form - Online Standard Time (pdf)
- PreACT Secure Test Administration Form - Online Accommodations (pdf)
- PreACT Secure Readers Agreement Form (pdf)
- PreACT Secure Sign Language Interpreter's Agreement Form (pdf)
- PreACT Secure Scribe's Agreement Form (pdf)
- ACT-Authorized Bilingual Word-to-Word Dictionaries list (pdf)
- Calculator Policy (pdf)
- PreACT Secure Translated Test Directions for English Learners (pdf)
Tip: If you are testing an examinee authorized for English learner supports, have the ACT-Authorized Bilingual Word-to-Word Dictionaries list handy to verify at check in that the examinee’s dictionary can be used for testing.
Return Test Materials
May 5, 2024
- PreACT Secure Test Coordinator Information Manual, Collecting, Packing, and Returning Test Materials section (web content)
- Secure Storage and Transport of Test Materials Form (pdf)
Tip: Do not return unused paper accommodations answer documents from initial testing. Use those for makeup testing and refer to the Test Coordinator Information Manual to properly manage unused materials at the end of the testing window.
Tip: Return answer documents following testing so they arrive at ACT by the receipt deadline listed on the Schedule of Events and can be scored.
Tip: Return all accommodations materials after all testing (accommodated and non-accommodated) has been completed.
Access and Understand Score Reports
- PreACT Secure Interpretive Guide for Students and Aggregate Reports (pdf)
- ACT Online Reporting User Guide (pdf)
- PreACT Secure Download Hub File Layout (xlsx)
- PreACT Secure Online Reporting (webinar) - May 10, 2023
- PreACT Secure Online Reporting slides (pdf)
Share Reporting Information with Examinees