Step 1: Orientation - Learn about test formats and policies; select test dates and provide shipping information; select test staff and set up accounts.
Step 2: Configuration - verify enrollment for test materials.
Step 3: Accommodation - Learn about accessibility supports; request accommodations and/or supports; request qualified exceptions to the deadline.
Step 4: Preparation - Order test materials; complete non-test activities; provide examinees test prep information; prepare your facility, staff, and materials; update examinee information.
Step 5: Administration - Administer the test.
Step 6: Transportation: Return test materials..
Step 7: Interpretation - Access and understand score reports; share reporting information with examinees.
The Schedule of Events contains all dates and deadlines for North Carolina's test event. Check it frequently to stay on track for testing.
Testing Window: November 15, 2021 - December 10, 2021 (weekdays)
Documents will be replaced as they become available for Fall 2021 testing.
Learn about Test Formats and Policies
- NC WorkKeys FAQ (document)
- WorkKeys Online Testing Student Demographics Screen (document)
Select Test Staff and Set Up Accounts
- Staff Requirements, Roles, and Responsibilities (manual section – select the first result listed after applying search filters)
- Setting up a Proctor or Site Administrator Account Quick Start Guide (document)
- Roles in Validus (document)
- Test Site Staff WorkKeys Manual Verification Form (webform)
Provide Examinees Test Prep Information
- WorkKeys Online Practice Test Instructions (document)
Prepare Your Facility, Staff, and Test Materials
- Test Facilities (manual section – select the first listed after applying search filters)
- Test Staff (manual section – select the first listed after applying search filters)
- Test Materials (manual section – select the first listed after applying search filters)
- Test Administration (manual section – select the first listed after applying search filters)
- Setting Up a Proctor or Additional Test Coordinator Account (Quick Start Guide) (document)
- Adding an Existing Examinee to a Group (document)
- Creating a Group (document)
- Removing an Examinee from a Group (document)
- Looking up a Password (document)
- Exporting Examinee Account Information (document)
- Testing Staff Training Plan (document)
Administer the Test
Standard Time Administration Window: November 15 - December 10, 2021
- ACT WorkKeys Administration Manual - Online Testing (document)
- TAO User Guide (document)
- WorkKeys Administration Supplement (document)
- WorkKeys - Text to Speech Quick Start Guide (document)
- Relaunching an Interrupted Test Session Quick Start Guide (document)
- WorkKeys Testing Irregularity Report (webform)
- Administering a Test to a Single Examinee Quick Start Guide (document
- Authorizing a Test for a Group of Examinees (document)
- WorkKeys Applied Math Formula Sheet (document)
- Calculator Policy (document)
- ACT-Authorized Bilingual Word-to-Word Dictionaries List (document)
- Prohibited Device Poster (document)
Tip: Remember that examinee computers cannot use Internet Explorer (IE) to deliver the test in TAO. Chrome, Firefox, or Safari may be used.
Tip: Run a TAO System Check and Validation Test on all examinee computers before the test session to ensure they can properly access and deliver the tests. To save time, you may want to run the Validation Test before the TAO System Check because if you are successful in launching a sample mini test, it won’t be necessary for you to run the TAO System Check.
Tip: If you are testing an examinee approved for English learner supports, print a copy of the ACT-Approved Bilingual Word-to-Word Dictionaries List (linked above) to verify at check in that the examinee’s dictionary can be used for testing.
Access and Understand Score Reports
See your Score Report Schedule for release dates
- Online Reports Portal User Guide (document)
- Score Reports Available in Online Reports Portal (document)
- ACT WorkKeys Scale Score Interpretation Guide (document)
- Score Level Interpretation - Applied Math
- Score Level Interpretation - Graphic Literacy
- Score Level Interpretation - Workplace Documents
- NCRC Certificate Levels
- Online Reports Portal User Guide Career Readiness Reporting (webinar)
- Understanding the Scores and Using Data (webinar)
- Exporting and Printing National Career Readiness Certificates (training tutorial)
Tip: The test coordinator can log in to Validus and use the Reports Portal to access ACT WorkKeys score reports. The ACT WorkKeys Online Reports Portal User Guide provides instructions for this feature. Score Reports Available in Online Reports Portal provides a list and description of all available reports.
Share Reporting Information with Examinees
- How the WorkKeys Assessments Can Work For You (document)
- Create a New MyWorkKeys Account (document) - Students need to follow these instructions if they did not receive an email or report with a MyWorkKeys.com username or password.
- Access a Pre-Created (or Existing) My WorkKeys account (document) - Students need to follow these instructions if they receive an email or report with MyWorkKeys.com username and password.
Tip: Examinees who achieve a minimum score of three (3) or higher on each subject test may be eligible to receive an ACT® WorkKeys® NCRC®.
Tip: Examinees who earn an ACT WorkKeys NCRC can access test scores as well as view, print, and share their certificate by either creating an account or accessing an existing account at myworkkeys.com.