Step 1: Orientation - Learn about test formats and policies; select test dates and provide shipping information; select test staff and set up accounts.
Step 2: Configuration - verify enrollment for test materials.
Step 3: Accommodation - Learn about accessibility supports; request accommodations and/or supports; request qualified exceptions to the deadline.
Step 4: Preparation - Order test materials; complete non-test activities; provide examinees test prep information; prepare your facility, staff, and materials; update examinee information.
Step 5: Administration - Administer the test.
Step 6: Transportation: Return test materials..
Step 7: Interpretation - Access and understand score reports; share reporting information with examinees.
The Schedule of Events contains all dates and deadlines for North Carolina's test event. Check it frequently to stay on track for testing.
Fall Testing Window
Testing Window: November 15, 2021 - December 10, 2021 (weekdays)
Material Ordering Window: September 13, 2021 - October 1, 2021
Documents will be replaced as they become available for Fall 2021 testing.
Learn about Test Formats and Policies
- NC WorkKeys FAQ (document)
Select Test Dates and Provide Shipping Information
September 13 - October 1, 2021
- PearsonAccessnext User Guide (document – select the Test Date and Materials Receipt Selection section)
- Address Change Request Form (webform)
Select Test Staff and Set Up Accounts
- Staff Requirements, Roles, and Responsibilities (manual section – select the first result listed after applying search filters)
- PearsonAccessnext User Guide (document – select the Managing Contact and User Account Information section)
- Test Site Staff WorkKeys Manual Verification Form (webform)
Tip: When the district test coordinator changes the school test coordinator in PearsonAccessnext, remember to deactivate the existing test coordinator's user account. Updates need to be completed in two places: the manage contacts screen and creating a new user account.
Verify Enrollment Counts
After student data is loaded - October 1, 2021
- PearsonAccessnext User Guide (document – select the Managing Test Materials, Accessing Reports, and Submit a Request to Enroll or Unenroll an Examinee sections)
- Enroll/Verify/Update Students in PearsonAccessnext (training tutorial)
Tip: To verify accessibility supports counts, run an Accommodations and Supports Roster in PearsonAccessnext.
Order Test Materials
Order Test Materials - Initial Materials: After Student data is loaded - October 1, 2021
Order Test Materials - Additional Order Window: October 11 - November 12, 2021
- PearsonAccessnext User Guide (document – select the Managing Test Materials section)
- Ordering Additional ACT WorkKeys Materials (training tutorial)
Tip: You can track test materials shipments using Orders & Shipment Tracking. See the View Status and Shipment Information section in the PearsonAccessnext User Guide.
Complete Non-Test Activities
- Non-Test Activities (manual section – select the first result listed after applying search filters)
Tip: Be sure to plan for all examinees to fill out the demographics portion of their answer sheet before testing.
Provide Examinees Test Prep Information
- WorkKeys Online Practice Test Instructions (document)
Prepare Your Facility, Staff, and Test Materials
- Test Facilities (manual section – select the first listed after applying search filters)
- Test Staff (manual section – select the first listed after applying search filters)
- Test Materials (manual section – select the first listed after applying search filters)
- Test Administration (manual section – select the first listed after applying search filters)
- WorkKeys Test Administration Training (webinar)
- WorkKeys Test Administration Training slide deck (webinar slides)
Tip: Remember to hold a training session with all testing staff (new and old) before test day. This is required and is separate from the briefing session that happens on test day. Suggested topics to cover during the training session are in your administration manual.
Administer the Test
Test Window - Standard Time Administration Window: November 15 - December 10, 2021
Test Window - Accommodations Administration Window: November 15 - December 10, 2021
- WorkKeys Administration Supplement (document)
- ACT WorkKeys Test Directions (English) (document)
- Calculator Policy (document)
- ACT-Authorized Bilingual Word-to-Word Dictionaries List (document)
- Prohibited Device Poster (document)
- WorkKeys Applied Math Formula Sheet (document)
Tip: Make sure examinees properly grid the form code into the Test Form block on their answer documents. This is essential to the answer documents being scored properly.
Tip: If you are testing an examinee authorized for English learner supports, have the ACT-Authorized Bilingual Word-to-Word Dictionaries list handy to verify at check in that the examinee’s dictionary can be used for testing
Return Test Materials
Test Window - Standard Time Testing Materials Receipt Deadline: December 21, 2021
Test Window - Accommodations Testing Materials Receipt Deadline: December 21, 2021
- Collecting, Packing, and Returning Test Materials (manual section – select the first result listed after applying search filters)
- WorkKeys Administration Manual Supplement (document – select the Prepare Materials for Return and Reporting section)
- Secure Storage and Transport Test Materials Form (document)
Tip: Make sure to follow the instructions for return in the Administration Manual Supplement, not those in the manual.
Access and Understand Score Reports
See your Score Report Schedule for release dates
- Online Reports Portal User Guide (document)
- Score Reports Available in Online Reports Portal (document)
- ACT WorkKeys Scale Score Interpretation Guide (document)
- Score Level Interpretation - Applied Math
- Score Level Interpretation - Graphic Literacy
- Score Level Interpretation - Workplace Documents
- NCRC Certificate Levels
- Online Reports Portal User Guide Career Readiness Reporting (webinar)
- Understanding the Scores and Using Data (webinar)
- Exporting and Printing National Career Readiness Certificates (training tutorial)
Tip: The test coordinator can log in to Validus and use the Reports Portal to access ACT WorkKeys score reports. The ACT WorkKeys Online Reports Portal User Guide provides instructions for this feature. Score Reports Available in Online Reports Portal provides a list and description of all available reports.
Share Reporting Information with Examinees
- How the WorkKeys Assessments Can Work For You (document)
- Create a New MyWorkKeys Account (document) - Students need to follow these instructions if they did not receive an email or report with a MyWorkKeys.com username or password.
- Access a Pre-Created (or Existing) My WorkKeys account (document) - Students need to follow these instructions if they receive an email or report with MyWorkKeys.com username and password.
Tip: Examinees who achieve a minimum score of three (3) or higher on each subject test may be eligible to receive an ACT® WorkKeys® NCRC®.
Tip: Examinees who earn an ACT WorkKeys NCRC can access test scores as well as view, print, and share their certificate by either creating an account or accessing an existing account at myworkkeys.com.