- Testing Window: September 28, 2020 - October 16, 2020
- Material Ordering Window: September 3 - 15, 2020
- Answer Document Return Deadline: October 30, 2020
PreACT Makeup Testing Dates:
- Testing Window: February 8, 2021 - February 19, 2021
- Material Ordering Window: January 14, 2021 - January 22, 2021
- Answer Document Return Deadline: March 5, 2021
Schedule of Events (coming soon)
Test Administration Process Overview
Select your current phase of the test administration process to see resources related to that section, or simply scroll down the page.
- Orientation - Get oriented with the testing program.
- Configuration - Configure testing setup and systems.
- Verification - Verify needs for accommodations and supports.
- Preparation - Prepare for testing.
- Administration - Administer the test successfully.
- Transportation - Transport materials and data back to ACT.
- Interpretation - Interpret score reports and test data.
Learn About PreACT
PreACT is a multiple-choice assessment that offers 10th graders early experience with ACT test items, provides a predicted ACT test score, and offers a wealth of information to help students get the start they need to be college ready.
Tips for Success
- Bookmark the url for your state’s testing website (this site) and check back frequently for updated information and content.
- Mark important dates from your Schedule of Events on your calendar and set reminders for deadlines.
- Familiarize yourself with the seven stages of the testing cycle (Orientation, Configuration, Verification, Preparation, Administration, Transportation, and Interpretation) by browsing these sections for PreACT. You can see a brief description, action items, and resources associated with each stage to help you get a feel for the testing timeline. Content will be linked as it becomes available.
- Watch for emails from ACT with important reminders. Add our email address to your contacts to prevent emails from going to spam/junk folders.
- Test material orders will be placed through the CCRIS online ordering system. You may access the system using an existing CCRIS account to use other ACT products or create a new account.
- ACT recommends that you order your test materials four weeks before your test date. This will allow two weeks for delivery of your test materials via FedEx Ground (free) shipping and another two weeks for you to prepare your site for testing. NOTE: Expedited shipping is not permissible within the Alabama state testing contract.
- The CCRIS ordering system allows you to attach yourself to multiple organizations. When placing test material orders through CCRIS, be sure you select the appropriate organization (i.e. the ordering school’s district).
- The CCRIS ordering system allows you to order test materials under different contracts, if you are eligible to participate in more than one. Be sure you select the correct contract (program) from the Choose Program dropdown menu. Selecting the incorrect contract will affect your reporting and invoicing for testing.
- The PreACT Test Materials Package includes the test booklets, answer documents, Administration Manuals, and other materials you will need to administer PreACT. Order one PreACT Test Material Package for every student who will be testing, including students who will test with accommodations or English learner supports.
- Order only the number of PreACT Test Material Packages that you will administer. ACT will include an overage in each order. For additional ordering practices, please review the PreACT Ordering Instructions.
- Administering PreACT with accommodations or English learner supports does not require prior approval from ACT. You may order alternate format test materials or materials for English learners at the same time you order your standard PreACT Test Material Packages.
- Districts that order test materials on behalf of their schools will receive district reporting. Please make note of the Answer Document Receipt Date provided in the order confirmation webpage and email. Answer documents received after this date may not be included in your district reporting.
Arrange for Accommodations and/or Support
- Testing Examinees with Accommodations (PreACT Administration Manual) (coming soon)
- English Learner Supports (PreACT Administration Manual) (coming soon)
Tips for Success
- Administering PreACT with accommodations or English learner supports does not require prior approval from ACT. You will order alternate format test materials or materials for English learners at the same time you order your PreACT Test Material Packages
Prepare Your Facility
- Preparing Testing Rooms (PreACT Administration Manual) (coming soon)
Prepare Your Staff
- Suggested Training Session Outline (PreACT Administration Manual) (coming soon)
- Procedures Checklist (PreACT Administration Manual) (coming soon)
- ACT Academy Quick Start Guide for Teachers (pdf)
- Implementation Training for Test Administration (pdf)
- Implementation Training for Test Administration (video)
- PreACT Training - During Testing (video)
Prepare Your Examinees
Prepare Your Testing Materials
- Check-In and Security of Test Materials (PreACT Administration Manual) (coming soon)
Complete Non-Test Activities
Tips for Success
- Review the Check-In and Security of Test Materials section of the PreACT Administration Manual before receiving your shipment. Have it available to refer to while unpacking your test materials.
- Remember to hold a training session with all testing staff (new and experienced) before test day. This is required and is separate from the briefing session that happens on test day. Suggested topics to cover during the training session are in your administration manual.
- Determine the test administration options your site will use.
- One or two day administration
- Options for completing the examinee information sections.
- Use of optional sort codes.
- Use of Supplemental local items.
Read the Administration Manual
- PreACT Administration Manual (coming soon)
- PreACT Technical Manual
Access and Use Testing Supplements
Tips for Success
- When entering name and address on the answer document (blocks B and P-S), be sure examinees:
- Start with the first box and first column in block
- Fill in the appropriate oval for each letter in addition to printing them in the boxes.
- Fill in only one oval per column
- Make sure examinees properly enter the form code into the Test Form block on their answer documents. This is essential to the answer documents being scored properly.
- If you are testing an examinee approved for English learner supports, print a copy of the ACT-Approved Bilingual Word-to-Word Dictionaries list to verify at check in that the examinee's dictionary can be used for testing.
Return Test Materials
- Post-Test Activities to Be Completed by the Test Coordinator (PreACT Administration Manual) (coming soon)
- Returning Materials to ACT (PreACT Administration Manual) (coming soon)
- Returning PreACT Materials to ACT (video)
Tips for Success
- The instructions for collecting, packing, and returning test materials are linked above.
- Test coordinators should verify completeness and accuracy of materials received from room supervisors before returning answer documents to ACT. Check that all Test Administration Forms are filled out and check that the test form code is properly gridded on each answer document.
- Upon receiving the test materials from the school test coordinator for shipment back to ACT, district test coordinators need to completely fill out the front of the polymailer envelope(s).
- When packing the processing envelopes, about 250 answer documents can fit in each Tyvek scoring envelope. The polymailer envelopes provided this year are smaller and will hold about 300 answer documents.
- Do not return unused answer documents or any PreACT test materials.
- Return the answer documents for all testing (standard, accommodations, or make-up) in the same shipment.
- The polymailer envelopes include prepaid FedEx return shipping labels already affixed. You may leave the packed polymailer envelopes in a secure FedEx pick-up area at your site or FedEx drop-off site. Do not leave your packed polymailer envelopes in an unsupervised pick or drop-off site.
Understand Score Reports
- Interpretive Guide for Student and Aggregate Reports (pdf)
- PreACT Student Report - Sample (pdf)
- PreACT Reporting Package (PreACT Administration Manual) (coming soon)
- Using Your PreACT Results (pdf)
- Using Your PreACT Results - Spanish (pdf)
- PreACT Technical Bulletin (pdf)
- Data Sharing Plan (pdf)
- Student Report Counseling Guide (pdf)
- Understanding the PreACT Student Score Report (webinar)
- Understanding the PreACT Educator Report (webinar)
- Understanding the PreACT Early Intervention Rosters Report (webinar)
- Understanding the PreACT Item Response Summary Report (webinar)
Tips for Success
- PreACT Student Reports, Educators Reports, and Student Data Files now include norm data.