Extra Resources to Help Educators for Free!
ACT Counselor Newsletter - September 2018 Edition
- Attend a College and Career Readiness Workshop
- Explore the College Process
- Senior: Help Seniors Thrive their Senior Year
- Juniors: Are Your Juniors Ready for What Comes After Graduation?
- Sophomores: Help Your Sophomores Develop Good Classroom Habits
- Extra Resources to Help Educators for FREE
- Upcoming Events
Sign Up to Receive the Counselor Newsletter
College and Career Readiness Workshop Kicking Off
Across the country, counselors and educators are learning how to support every student at every step on their journey toward college and career success. Register today to join them for one of our 2018 ACT College and Career Readiness Workshops (CCRW) between September 5 and December 6. With new, engaging activities and best practices from other schools, you won’t want to miss this opportunity.
At the 2018 ACT CCRW you will:
- Discover new resources for students and educators
- Acquire valuable data interpretation strategies
- Create a comprehensive assessment plan
“If we can get teachers to attend the workshops, it gives them a better perspective of the role that they play in the process of preparing students.”
- Randy McPherson, Manager, Student Support–Behavior and Student Leadership, Shelby County Schools
Explore the College Process
Steps2College, a free resource for counselors, students, and their families to explore the steps in the college process, was developed by a partnership between ACT’s Center for Equity in Learning, Better Make Room, National College Access Network, ACE’s American College Access Campaign, and American University’s Center for Postsecondary Readiness and Success.
- How to apply to schools
- How to get financial aid
- How to avoid the “summer melt” many students face when they’re transitioning from high school to college.
Check out Steps2College.org to learn more and get resources you can use to support your students!
Class of 2019: The One Thing Your SENIORS Should Do Right Now
Help Seniors Thrive Their Senior Year
Cure senioritis with a checklist that helps seniors prioritize what they need to do before graduation. This senior year checklist will help them do these things while also making sure they have all their future-planning bases covered.
Lead them to these helpful Class of 2019 articles which explain:
- Prepare for Your Last Year with This Senior Year Checklist
- How to Turn Activities (Sports, Arts, Volunteering) into Financial Aid
- The 3 Most Overlooked Parts of College Application
Class of 2020: The One Thing Your JUNIORS Should Do Right Now
Are Your Juniors Ready for What Comes After Graduation?
For juniors it may seem like high school is taking forever to finish. But you know, the next two years fly by, and graduation comes fast.
Our two-year timeline maps out the steps juniors need to take before they walk onto a college campus.
Direct your juniors to this resource library which has information on:
- 5 Questions You Must Ask
- Your Junior Year Checklist
- Create a College List
Class of 2021: The One Thing Your SOPHOMORES Should Do Right Now
Help Your Sophomores Develop Good Classroom Habits
Developing good habits in the classroom makes a huge difference this year and the rest of high school. Now is the time for sophomores to improve those habits and skills. Share these tips to help your students get more out of class and, just maybe, increase their joy of learning!
- Join in on class discussion. Don’t sit quietly in the back-participate in the conversation!
- Ask questions if you don't understand something. As the old adage goes: if you didn’t understand it, there’s a good chance others didn’t either.
- Keep up with class assignments. Keep a checklist of when they’re due—or finish them before the due date.
- Download phone apps to remind you about deadlines, assignments, and exams.
In addition to these learning tips, show your sophomores this webpage which covers:
- Tips to Learn How to Learn
- Keep Your Eyes on the Prize
- A Checklist to Make the Most of Your Sophomore year
- 10 Skills You Need to Succeed
Extra Resources to Help Educators for Free
This month, ACT will launch the teacher, parent, and administrator experience of ACT® Academy. More than a quarter of a million students have already benefited from ACT Academy since launching in March.
ACT Academy is designed to integrate easily and seamlessly with your existing learning management system. Here’s how it works:
- Teachers assign ACT Academy homework content and quizzes to students.
- Students complete assignments, and their individual performance and progress appears on a mastery chart.
- ACT Academy uses advanced algorithms powered by best-in-class machine learning to find relevant instructional content for each student or classroom, based on homework and quiz results. The content is designed to help with remediation and mastery of subject areas.
- Educators can track students’ progress, receive detailed results, and assign further resources recommended by ACT Academy and tailored to students’ areas of need.
Learn more about ACT Academy at act.org/academy.
Attend a Hands-On Webinar
Join us for a webinar to learn about ACT Academy—a free online instructional tool that allows teachers, with just one click, to provide students with video lessons, interactive practice questions, full-length practice tests, educational games, and other materials.
September 19, 2018 | 3 ET/ 12 PT
Duration: 60 minutes
Every Student. Every Step.
ACT College and Career Readiness Workshop
Starting this month, attend a FREE professional development session near you! You’ll have the opportunity to work with your peers as you develop new strategies to help your students and your school succeed.