Step 1: Orientation - Learn about test formats and policies; select test dates and provide shipping information; select test staff and set up accounts.
Step 2: Configuration - verify enrollment for test materials.
Step 3: Accommodation - Learn about accessibility supports; request accommodations and/or supports; request qualified exceptions to the deadline.
Step 4: Preparation - Order test materials; complete non-test activities; provide examinees test prep information; prepare your facility, staff, and materials; update examinee information.
Step 5: Administration - Administer the test.
Step 6: Transportation: Return test materials..
Step 7: Interpretation - Access and understand score reports; share reporting information with examinees.
Learn about Test Formats and Policies
- Policies (manual section – select the first result listed after applying search filters)
- Test Coordinator Checklist (interactive resource)
- Explaining ACT WorkKeys (video)
- ACT WorkKeys/NCRC Tips for Educators (document)
Provide Shipping Information
- Address Change Request Form (webform)
Select Test Staff and Set Up Accounts
- Staff Requirements, Roles, and Responsibilities (manual section – select the first result listed after applying search filters)
- Test Site Staff WorkKeys Manual Verification Form (webform)
- Change of Contact or Organization Form (webform)
Tip: Complete this form if you would like to update the current contact (District Test Coordinator or Test Coordinator) or organizational information on your account.
- Training Staff Plan (document)
Order Test Materials
Test Window: (Accommodations and/or Supports) (coming soon)
Tip: Order test materials as early as possible, at least two weeks before the scheduled test date.
Tip: If you already have an account for ordering PreACT test materials, use the same username and password to access the ACT WorkKeys materials ordering system
Learn about Accessibility Supports
Arrange for Accommodations and/or English Leaner (EL) Supports
- Testing with Accessibility Supports (manual section – select the first result listed after applying search filters
- WorkKeys-Translated Test Directions for English Leaners (pdf)
Tip: Review the Accessibility Support Guide if you have questions about the accommodations and supports available for ACT WorkKeys.
Provide Examinees Test Prep Information
Prepare Your Facility, Staff, and Test Materials
- Test Facilities (manual section – select the first listed after applying search filters)
- Test Staff (manual section – select the first listed after applying search filters)
- Test Materials (manual section – select the first listed after applying search filters)
- Test Administration (manual section – select the first listed after applying search filters)
- Order Materials and Test Administration Training (webinar) (coming soon)
- Order Materials and Test Administration Training (document) (coming soon)
Tip: Review the “Receipt and Check-In of Test Materials” section of the WorkKeys Administration Manual for Paper testing before receiving your shipment. Have it available to refer to while unpacking your test materials.
Tip: Remember to hold a training session with all testing staff (new and old) before test day. This is required and is separate from the briefing session that happens on test day. Suggested topics to cover during the training session are in your administration manual.
Tip: Be sure to plan for all examinees to fill out the demographics portion of their answer sheet before testing
Administer the Test
Standard Accommodations Testing Window: (coming soon)
- ACT WorkKeys Test Directions (English) (document)
- ACT-Authorized Bilingual Word-to-Word Dictionaries List (document)
- No Phone Poster (document)
- ACT WorkKeys County Federal Information Processing Standards (FIPS) Codes Manual (document)
- WorkKeys Administration Supplement (document)
- Calculator Policy (pdf)
Tip: No new changes to the policy since its last update on August 5, 2019.
Tip: Ensure you are using the correct materials for your test date. Using test booklets assigned for another test date will result in the cancellation of scores.
Tip: Make sure examinees properly grid the form code into the Test Form block on their answer documents. This is essential to the answer documents being scored properly.
Tip: If you are testing an examinee authorized for English learner supports, have the ACT-Authorized Bilingual Word-to-Word Dictionaries list handy to verify at check in that the examinee’s dictionary can be used for testing.
Return Test Materials
Call FedEx immediately after testing to schedule pickup
Receipt deadline no later than (coming soon)
- Collecting, Packing, and Returning Test Materials (manual section – select the first result listed after applying search filters)
- WorkKeys Supplement - Return of Answer Documents (pdf)
Tip: Make sure to follow the instructions for return in the Administration Manual Supplement, not those in the manual.
Activity: Access and Understand Score Reports
Spring Score Report Schedule (document)
Fall Score Report Schedule (coming soon)
- Online Reports Portal User Guide (document)
- Score Reports Available in Online Reports Portal (document)
- ACT WorkKeys Scale Score Interpretation Guide (document)
- Score Level Interpretation - Applied Math
- Score Level Interpretation - Graphic Literacy
- Score Level Interpretation - Workplace Documents
- NCRC Certificate Levels
- Using the Online Reports Portal - Career Readiness Certificate Reports (video)
- Using the Online Reports Portal - Reports (video)
- Understanding the Value of ACT WorkKeys and NCRC (webinar)
- Understanding the Value of ACT WorkKeys and NCRC (document)
- Exporting and Printing National Career Readiness Certificates (training tutorial)
Tip: The test coordinator can log in to Validus and use the Reports Portal to access ACT WorkKeys score reports. The ACT WorkKeys Online Reports Portal User Guide provides instructions for this feature. Score Reports Available in Online Reports Portal provides a list and description of all available reports
Share Information with Examinees
- How to Use Your WorkKeys Results (document)
- How the WorkKeys Assessments Can Work For You (document)
- Create a New MyWorkKeys Account (document) - Students need to follow these instructions if they did not receive an email or report with a myworkkeys.com username or password.
- Access a Pre-Created (or Existing) My WorkKeys account (document) - Students need to follow these instructions if they receive an email or report with myworkkeys.com username and password.
- WorkKeys-NCRC Benefits Student Letter (document)
- Occupational Profiling Database
- Using the Occupational Profile Database (video)
- Using the Occupational Profile Database (document)
- Examinee Records Modification Request Form (document)
Tip: Complete this form if your score report contain incorrect demographic information and you are requesting an update to your record.
Tip: Examinees who achieve a minimum score of three (3) or higher on each subject test may be eligible to receive an ACT® WorkKeys® NCRC®.
Tip: Examinees who earn an ACT WorkKeys NCRC can access test scores as well as view, print, and share their certificate by either creating an account or accessing an existing account at myworkkeys.com.