Photo Submission Requirements
To complete your registration, you must provide a recent photo of yourself for identification and test security purposes. This photo will print on your ticket and on the score report that is automatically sent to your high school. ACT will retain the photo for a period of time consistent with active use of test scores and test security purposes.
Photo submission options include:
- Uploading a photo from your computer
- Uploading a photo using a mobile device
- Submitting a printed photo
You are strongly encouraged to complete this part of your registration and print your ticket as soon as possible to ensure everything is in order well before test day.
Your photo must be added by the photo upload deadline for your test date or your registration will be cancelled and you will NOT be admitted to test. You cannot print your ticket until the photo is added.
After you submit your photo, you will need to log in to your ACT Web account from a computer with a printer connection and print your ticket.
You must bring a separate valid photo ID and your admission ticket to be admitted on test day.
- Your photo must be a clear image of ONLY you (not blurry, grainy, or fuzzy) against a plain background.
- The photo must be a full face-and-shoulders shot, squarely facing the camera.
- You must use a portrait (not landscape) photo that is correctly oriented
- You must be facing the camera.
- You cannot wear dark glasses.
- Your photo cannot be enhanced in any way (for example, no lenses, filters, text, emoji, stickers, etc.)
- If you wear a head covering daily for religious reasons, adjust it to provide a full-face view.
- Do not scan your driver's license or school ID photo. The scanned image will not be of high enough quality to meet the system's requirements for an acceptable photo.
- Do not submit a photo of a photo; just take a photo of yourself.
- Be sure to hold the camera or mobile device very still.
- Try turning on a soft overhead light or taking your photo outside in bright light, but avoid having the sun at your back.
- Make sure there are no shadows over your face.
- Try standing a few feet in front of a plain wall or other solid color that contrasts with your hair and clothing.
- Try not to use the camera flash. If you must use flash, take the photo from at least three feet away, and use the camera zoom as needed to center only your face and shoulders within the photo frame.
Format and size
- You can upload a JPG, JPEG, PNG, or BMP image file.
- The maximum file size is 5MB.
- If you scan your photo, the resulting file must print as a 2" x 2" image or larger.
- The photo must be at least 640 x 480 pixels.
- If you have scanned your photo, crop the image to show only your head and shoulders before you upload it.
Upload from computer
If you have a digital photo on a computer with an Internet connection, you can upload the photo directly to your ACT Web account. You will be prompted to upload your photo and print your ticket when you register online. While you can upload your photo any time up to the deadline noted below, you are strongly encouraged to complete this part of your registration and print your ticket as soon as possible, to ensure everything is in order well before test day.
Upload from mobile device
To use a mobile device to submit your photo login to your mobile-friendly MyACT account. Submit a photo from the device’s library or use the camera.
Submit a Hard Copy Paper Photo
If you don’t have access to a digital photo to upload via computer, or you don't have access to a mobile device to take and upload a photo, you may submit a hard copy paper photo, which must meet all the photo requirements noted above. The photo will NOT be returned to you.
ACT must receive the hard copy photo by the deadline for your test date listed below. If you miss the paper photo deadline, you may still submit your photo online by the photo upload deadline.
If you miss both the paper photo receipt and photo upload deadline, your registration will be cancelled and you will NOT be admitted to test. If your registration is cancelled, the registration fee will not be refunded. You may, however, request a test date change. You will be required to provide a photo for the new test date. Note: Registrants who request Standby Testing cannot request a test date change; see our Standby Testing page for details.
To submit a paper photo, print a copy of the Photo Submission Form (PDF) and follow the instructions.
If you are uploading your photo, your photo must be added by the photo upload deadline for your test date. If you are mailing a paper photo, your photo must be received by the receipt deadline for paper photos. The test dates and deadlines are listed below.
If you miss the deadline, your registration will be cancelled and you will NOT be admitted to test. If your registration is cancelled, the registration fee will not be refunded. You may, however, request a test date change. You will be required to provide a photo for the new test date. Note: Registrants who request Standby Testing cannot request a test date change; see our Standby Testing page for details.
*No test centers are scheduled in New York for the July test date.