Miss the deadline to register? You've still got a chance.
If you miss the late deadline to register for a test date, or to request a test date or test center change, you may choose to sign in to your ACT account to request and pay for standby testing.
Standby requests must be submitted during a limited “Standby Request Period” before the test date. Requests cannot be accepted after the last date listed for each test date below.
National Standby Request Periods
|Test Date||Standby Request Period|
|September 8, 2018||August 27 - 31|
|October 27, 2018||October 15 - 19|
|December 8, 2018||November 20 - 30|
|February 9, 2019*||January 19 - February 1|
|April 13, 2019||March 26 - April 5|
|June 9, 2019||May 21 - 31|
|July 14, 2019*||June 25 - July 5|
*No test centers are scheduled in California or New York for the July test date.
Standby Testing Conditions
The following conditions apply to standby testing:
- You are not guaranteed a seat or a test booklet.
- To be considered for admission to the test center, you must bring acceptable photo identification and your printed Standby Ticket for that center and have your name on the Standby Roster at that test center.
- Paper registration folders will not be accepted at the test center.
- Only standard time and regular print materials are available for standby testing.
- You must pay the applicable standby testing fee in addition to any regular registration fees for your test option.
- Your standby request is valid only if you fully complete all required information online (including uploading a photo if required for your test date) and submit payment.
- If you fail to provide a photo by the stated deadline for your requested test date, your registration will be cancelled and you will not be allowed to test. Your standby request will not transfer to any other test date. Instead, ACT will refund the fees paid for your standby request.
- You must print a copy of your Standby Ticket and take it with you to the test center on test day. If you bring a ticket for another test date or a different test center, you will not be admitted.
- Test centers admit standbys on a first-come, first-admitted basis and only if there are seats, test materials, and staff available after all registered students have been admitted for their test option. You may be turned away.
- If you are not admitted to test on the upcoming test day, your standby request will not transfer to any other test date. Instead, ACT will refund the fees paid for your standby request.
- If you submit and pay for a standby request in order to change your test date or test center, your previous test date and test center assignment will be cancelled immediately, and the basic fee paid for your previous order will be refunded.